help save lives and prevent teen dating violence!
Lindsay’s Light Fund set up to prevent dating violence.
In 2007, Shield Bearer was asked to respond to a local high school experiencing a high number of dating violence incidents. Since then, our Dating Violence Prevention Program has been delivered to over 20,000 students in high schools, churches and community centers. The limiting factor has always been funding.
Every year over 2,000 people suffer violent deaths at the hands of an intimate partner. Over half (56%) of high school students are or know someone who is a victim of dating violence. One in three teens will experience dating violence by the time they reach the age of 18 years old.
On April 25, 2012, Lindsay Laneigh Ferrill’s life was taken in a horrific dating violence incident. Her mother, Shari Nightingale, and Lindsay’s family and friends have met for years in an effort to honor Lindsay’s life by helping others. Thanks to a recent partnership, Lindsay’s Light Fund was developed as a way to better prevent dating violence in schools. Now Lindsay’s story is an important part of the Shield Bearer Dating Violence Prevention curriculum and with your help we are spreading this crucial prevention program to a larger number of high school students.
With your donation, you are honoring Lindsay’s life and helping young people today learn the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships. They are being equipped with “red flags” to watch out for and with what to do in case they see them in their relationships.
Become a part of the life saving work Lindsay’s Light Fund supports by:
1) Pray for dating violence victims. Pray for young relationships to be healthy. Pray for this program to reach high school students everywhere.
2) Tell Your Family and Friends About It! Share this page on social media. Invite one of our presenters to your church or civic group.
3) Volunteer! Help out at a presentation. Become a trained presenter and take this program to your group.
4) Give! Click the Donate Now button on the right and make a secure online gift of any amount. Sponsor afull day or presentations at a high school with a gift of $600. Send a check made out to Shield Bearer 12345 Jones Rd. STE 285 Houston, TX 77070 and write in the memo: “Lindsay’s Light Fund”.
On behalf of the many lives your support will save, “Thank you!”
Small Donation: Huge Impact
On a budget of less than $500,000 we served over 15,200 people last year. Thanks to our volunteers, donors and supporters, we are able to continue to say “yes” to healing the hurting hearts of those turned away due to financial or insurance reasons.
Shield Bearer does not receive any government grants nor take Medicaid or other government insurance. We rely on caring individuals, businesses, churches and family foundations to allow us to continue to say “yes” where so many say “no”.
With over twenty counselors on our team, we can see almost anyone. We choose not to accept clients who have committed crimes against persons. However we see many of their victims.
There are three groups that your support is essential to our continued ability to serve:
- Sex Traffic Victims – Minor girls and women who have been rescued from sex trafficking stops receive counseling services in our offices. Now we are being asked to place counselors in several residential centers. Find out how to help here.
- Victims of Horrendous Crimes – You may have never thought about what happens when a person witnesses or experiences a crime. Shield Bearer has become the key provider for victims who have been denied Crime Victims Assistance for one reason or another. Learn how to help here.
- Active Service Personnel, Veterans and their Families – We have the best military in the world. Our military men and women and their families deserve the best. Shield Bearer has become an important resource to healing relationships negatively affected by military life. Learn how to help here.
Your Help Is Needed NOW!
- Pray for victims and our team of counselors who work to heal their hurting hearts every day. Let us know by emailing events@ShieldBearer.org
- Commit to learning how to get involved as a volunteer. We need advocates to share with churches, civic groups and community organizations what God is doing through us with this population. Learn more at one of our monthly breakfasts or email us at events@ShieldBearer.org.
- Let us know by emailing events@ShieldBearer.org if you would like a presentation at one of your professional, civic or church groups about what God is doing through us in this effort.
- Invest in the effective trauma treatment that moves victims to survivors:
- Make a one time donation of $200 to cover the monthly counseling expenses of one victim.
- Set up a monthly donation of $50 to know you are paying for a session every month.
- Talk to your professional, civic or church group about a fund drive to help heal hurting hearts.
Click Donate Now or send a donation by mail to:
Shield Bearer Counseling Centers
12340 Jones Rd. STE 290
Houston, TX 77070
Shield-Bearer greatly values every donated dollar provided by partners in the mission. The volunteer board of directors set organization strategic direction and policies for the highest levels of ethical fiscal management. The board of directors approves the annual budget and meets monthly to review budget management.
Last year Shield-Bearer managed a budget with about 85% spent on direct program expenses and around 15% on administration and fundraising. The approved 2016 budget includes increased programs and services in all of our offices, serving more students in new school districts with Dating Violence Prevention and Strong Fathers Strong Families programs, and reaching a larger number of those who need us.
Since 2011, Shield Bearer has annually been recognized by Excellence In Giving with the Intelligent Philanthropy Seal of Transparency. Learn more here. Shield Bearer is also the recipient of the Top-Rated Award from GreatNonprofits. Learn more here. Shield-Bearer is a 501c3 nonprofit charitable organization and maintains compliance with applicable IRS rules and regulations. Donations are tax deductible to the full extent of IRS rules. Shield-Bearer provides an annual report to donors and files an annual IRS 990 report that is available upon request.